[ST] trip report--Talimena Byway

This is a week late, but I don't have much to contribute on the chain or
chain cleaning threads, so here it goes.  :)

I was supposed to be on vacation all last week, but after getting called
in Monday night at 8pm and working till 3:30 in the morning, then
answering questions and emails most of Tuesday while trying to do a home
improvement project, I had to get out of the house and away from it all.

So, I decided that Wednesday I was going to ride the Talimena Parkway,
which runs from SE Oklahoma into Arkansas, since I'd heard such fabulous
things about it.  I'll upload a few pics soon.

I left the house (Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX) at 7am and it was about 40
degrees with a high of 70 predicted and no rain in the forecast (unlike
last time I attempted this trip, when I made it to the oklahoma border,
got caught rained out with no gear, bought some raingear at a wal-mart,
and rode home).  I had lots of layers on, but was pretty chilly till
after noon.  The heated grips were wonderful and I used them all day.  I
was cursing myself for being too cheap to buy a heated vest, but one is
now right at the top of my "things to buy" list.

I got to Talihina at 11:30, which was better time than I thought I'd
make.  I had lunch and then hit the Parkway.  All I can say is, "Wow."
That is a great road.  I couldn't bring myself to stop or take any
pictures the first time, I had to just ride it all the way across to
Mena, AR.  Then I had a soda, turned around and rode it right back,
stopping to take pictures and admire the views, this time.

The road is great.  I only saw one spot in all the 60 miles where there
was any surface imperfection.  I'm not a very experienced rider when
it comes to the twisty stuff, though, and as I was riding across the
first time, I took one of the corners coming down into Mena too fast (or
didn't turn in right) and went over the double yellow, despite scraping
the peg.  No harm done, but that scared me enough to make me take it
easy the rest of the way and riding it back into OK.

I think I got done riding the Parkway by 3'ish, and back home
before 8pm.  600 miles total.  The longest day I've ever done on a
motorcycle--actually twice as my previous best.  I was sore the next
day, but not that bad.

The weird part was that I only saw a few motorcycles on the way there
and back, and a LOT on and around the Talimena Parkway, but zero other
sportbikes.  All cruisers or 'Wings and maybe a beemer and a couple
ST1100s.  Maybe the fact that it was a weekday had something to do with
it?  Dunno, but all returned my waves.  :)

The only issues with the bike:

1) I ran out of gas.  Doh.  I had filled up in Clayton, OK, then ridden
to Talihina, across to AR and back again, then back towards home on
the same tank.  I thought I could make it to 220 miles before filling
up (the next big town), but I guess flogging the bike all over the
hills didn't do much for my mileage, as I only got 209 miles that tank.
Luckily, I coasted to a stop within 100 yards of the only gas pump in
Finley, OK (population: 20, if I had to guess).  The locals were amused
to see me pushing my bike along and at my story, but impressed by the
bike.  For the first time since buying it in May I heard the "didn't
know they still made them" line.

2)  I may have seen the first signs of fuel-sender issues, which I had
hoped my bike was immune from.  At 60 miles after a fillup, the fuel
light came on, then went off about 10 secs later.  Then it happened
again a few minutes later, and I noticed the gauge read way low.  I
thought maybe I was losing fuel somehow, but then the light went off and
the gauge back up, and there were no other issues the rest of the trip.
(aside from #1, but that was my fault)

3) I must have picked up a nail or something on the way back, as the
next time I took the bike out, it handled a little funny.  I didn't
recognize the warning sign that this meant low tire pressure (there are
only 2 turns from my house to the highway) until I stopped for gas 20
miles later and noticed what was left of my hot, gooey rear tire.  I
filled up, aired up, and made it home, but there are cords showing now,
so I'm grounded till the new ones come in.

Anyway, back to the trip.  I'd do it again. :) Actually, my wife and I
are going to AR the weekend after next, and I think we just have to go
up that way.

Sorry to ramble on so long.

Laters,
Brian