Re: [ST] Fw: RiDE calling ST-owning web gurus called Mike Bostock

On 22 Dec 2004, at 15:21, Steve Lawler wrote:

> IMHO the Givi's are too utilitarian looking. They look like equipment
> cases that were rigged to fit the bike. I prefer the Triumph ones.
> OTOH the bags on the '05 ST are not very attractive

I'd agree that the Triumph panniers look very cool on the bike -
certainly fit in better than any non-Triumph ones I've seen.  But the
Triumph ones are not waterproof: a serious flaw (I've Krauser panniers
on previous bikes that were OK looking and fully waterproof, so this
'feature' is not exactly cutting edge stuff).  The Triumph ones also
foul access to the seat lock - another peculiar oversight for panniers
apparently designed for the model itself...  I'd trade aesthetics for
practicality if it was my own money going down.  But I agree that with
the '05 model they are making a bigger mistake.  The '03 panniers look
good but are functionally poor.  The '05 pannirs already look like
poorly designed after market gear, so whether they are functional is
now not relevant - there now is no excuse for not fitting quality (but
probably cheaper) panniers from another firm.

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03